I think these little French cakes are so elegant. They're perfect if you want to quickly knock something up for guests, or if you're just craving something sweet. They're ideal for parents on the go, and they're simple enough to put together that kids could join in too!
Fun fact: the reason they have one side shaped like a shell is because they're originally from Brittany in France, which is famous for its seafood.
100g all purpose flour
100g butter (melted)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1tsp lemon juice OR vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/gas 6
- Brush melted butter on your madeleine pan, and dust with flour. Tap off excess
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until frothy
- Mix in flour and baking powder, followed by the melted butter and vanilla extract/lemon juice.
- If you have time, leave the mixture to rest for 20 mins, but not absolutely essential
- Bake in oven for 10 mins
- Cool (and dust with icing sugar if you want)